by Matt Fischard, at Dec. 7, 2011, 4:05 p.m.
Name of Theater: Sunshine Cinema, Also known as the Houston Hippodrome
Address: 143 East Houston Street
Information on Theater: "The entertainment beginnings of this building came in 1909 when it opened as the Houston Hippodrome, a venue for Yiddish vaudeville acts and films. In 1917, the theatre’s ownership changed and the 600-seat venue was renamed the Sunshine Theatre. In the late-1930’s it was renamed Chopin Theatre. The theatre closed in 1945 and had been used as a storage warehouse into the mid-1990s. Following a three-year, $12 million renovation project, the Sunshine Cinema is back and set to due battle with the famed Angelika and Film Forum theatres which, up until recent years had been the favorite destinations of the art house set. The Sunshine Cinema certainly fills a need in the area as there are few movie theatres in or around the Lower East Side. The facade has been restored and 3 of the 5 auditoriums contain stadium seating, while all have plush seats and the latest sound and projection equipment. The theatre is the first for Landmark Theatres in the much coveted New York indie market." Retrieved from Cinema Treasures on 12/17/2011.
Plot on Map: POINT (-73.9898063450833945 40.7230993034891640)
Company Representing the Theater: Landmark Theaters
Additional information on Theater:
Theater Website: http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/NewYork/NewYork_Frameset.htm
The following arguments all reference this record.