|Version 15 (modified by solomonr, 22 months ago)|
temporary location of git repository:
This was helpful in getting Postgres running: http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/
That postgres startup command I keep forgetting:
$ sudo su postgres $ pg_ctl -D /opt/local/pgsql/data -l /opt/local/pgsql/log/postgres.log start
- overall docs: http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/contrib/gis/
- Best installation doc for GeoDjango and dependencies: http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/contrib/gis/install/
- (Another install doc: http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/GeoDjangoInstall but it seems out of date)
- Another unrelated project not to be confused by: http://code.google.com/p/django-geo/
Most of our external project dependencies are listed in our REQUIREMENTS.txt file, which is compatible with pip.
Any other miscellaneous dependencies will be listed here:
- standalone version of the wordpress audio player ... This is a popular Flash-based audio player tool. It appears to have been originally developed for Wordpress but is now widely used beyond that. It is built on Flash, but the actual code is released under an Open Source MIT License. Some have provided a support library for it for Django but we are just using the Flash player directly. (The Django library doesn't add too much in the way of convenience; but we may use it later.)
- Flowplayer, flash-based video player ... Popular and widely used video player. Despite being built on Flash and having a commercial version, we are using the free version released under GPL.
GeoDjango Install Notes
Note: initially tried doing this on a shared server (Webfaction) so tried to install things in my local / home directory instead of the standard default locations.
- Django 1.2 and PostgreSQL were setup with the automatic install provided by Webfaction.
- GEOS built fine ... Note: added GEOS_LIBRARY_PATH to Django settings as per instructions for non-standard location install
- PROJ.4 built fine
- PostGIS ./configure gave errors
- needed to add /usr/local/pgsql/bin to PATH (for pg_config),
- needed to add argument to ./configure command: --with-geosconfig=/home/rorys/webapps/urtdev/software/geos-3.2.2/tools/geos-config